How did that happen?
Hey All, Me here, and it's been so busy!
Spent much of the Summer Season with
household projects rather put my mojo
on hold. We did manage to get some major
projects competed, both back porch and front
deck rebuilt, plumbing issues taken care of,
and the usual touch up painting and re-staining
of cedar shakes and we're still up to our necks
in window washing and gutter cleaning the
next month preparing for the change of the Seasons.
So once I found some mojo and me time,
it seemed I couldn't figure out what to do first...
So grabbed this lovely little cup and saucer a dear
friend sent me years ago, and made a quick pincushion.
Well one thing leads to another, dragging out an old sewing
machine ( nicknamed 'the clunker'), as my other machines
are strictly for fabric use...as I had a plan....
I came across a wonderful older workshop on the internet at
Well that just sent me off on a whole new adventure....
First I had to make
Signatures for my
Sewn Book Project
and even though the workshop was for 'found' ephemera,
I switched it up to use tons of my scrapbooking supplies
and papers, and incorporating by sewing in some of
my printed digital graphics, handmade tags, and other
assorted goodies I've made and collected over the years.
It's taken weeks of pulling together all the bits and bobs
of inspiration, and figuring out how to sew it all together.
But it's been one of the most fun projects I've taken
on for years.
I certainly don't profess to be a seamstress,
as I tend to not do things as perfectly as many
in the sewing field do, but this was right up
my alley, as I could just sew away on the old
clunker without worrying about perfection.
Making the signatures has been so much fun!
Then came the cover....
Veering off from the Workshop....
I've had this really colourful and pretty tote bag
from Michaels hanging around my art room for
the past few years, so I thought I'd try cutting it up
and using it to make the cover.
I still have to hand sew the signatures into it,
but had to put it all together to see if it was going to work.
Please to say, the experiment was a success!
Even the inside worked to boot!
So as I said, still have to hand sew in the signatures,
and may even make another set to tuck in as it seems
another set of pages just might fit...
Being it was a large tote bag, it seems I have the other
side of it for another project....hmm......wheels turning already for the next project.
Isn't that how it always happens!
So that's what I've been up too during this long quiet
spell on Birdnuts Mixed Media this Summer...
and just a quick mention....
It was our Oliver Howard's 16th Birthday
( Where the heck did the years go!)
We were overjoyed at the pouring of love and affection
and sloppy kisses from all of his
Internet Aunties on Facebook
this past weekend!
Huge Thank You's to Everyone!
In our home....Dogs Rule....
and Birds too!
So that's what has been going on....
Already getting going on my second sewing book project
so another blog post in the works soon!
Get Inspired and Creative!